Re: Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
Subject Re: Linux
Date
List pgsql-general

> Problem :
> ========
> Though I found extensive documentation on the Postgres web-site for
> Postgres, where can I get a similarly extensive docket for Linux...
> please... including how to make linux behave as a server for Windows
> clients... remember, that though my targets may not mind taking Linux
>  for server, getting Linux on the desktop would be impossible for
>  them.

Want a nice server install, why don't you give Trustix a try..;-)
http://www.trustix.net.

As for making Linux behave as a server for Windows...  I'm not quite
sure I understand your problem...  If your talking about File and print
server, then I believe you'll be wanting the SAMBA part of things...

If your talking about a web server, perhaps APACHE would be more to your
liking.

If your talking about ftp, then perhap ProFTPD would fit your bill...

E-mail, perhaps Postfix..;-)

Database Server, PostgreSQL or whatever.

Now if you're talking about trying to have your Windows Clients talk to
your PostgreSQL server, and if your clients are programmed using Visual
Basic and the like, then perhaps you may want to download the ODBC
driver for PostgreSQL for Windows, and install it in the windows
client...  Setting the proper parameters for your ODBC source.

http://techdocs.postgresql.org has some very nice documentation about
these and other subjects related to PostgreSQL...;-)

And for the ODBC thingy...  why don't you try http://odbc.postgresql.org
..;-)

Cheers,

John Clark
--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer II                       ( \