Triggers do the error checking - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Janning Vygen
Subject Triggers do the error checking
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

i am new to the concepts of SQL and Postgresql.
i am just thinking about some database design decisions.

at this time my tabel has many trigger functions to check the inserted or
updated values.

Some checks could be done via a check constraint, but i wont get individual
error-messages. With triggers i can raise exceptions in a different language
which my php frontend can show to the user.

So the whole error checking is done inside the database with triggers.

Is this ok? or is it a bad design decision. I dont want my frontend(gui, php
site) to do the error checking because i dont want to write things a thousand
times.

janning

--
Planwerk 6 /websolutions