Re: Triggers do the error checking - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Triggers do the error checking
Date
List pgsql-general
Janning Vygen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am new to the concepts of SQL and Postgresql.
> i am just thinking about some database design decisions.
>
> at this time my tabel has many trigger functions to check the inserted or
> updated values.
>
> Some checks could be done via a check constraint, but i wont get individual
> error-messages. With triggers i can raise exceptions in a different language
> which my php frontend can show to the user.
>
> So the whole error checking is done inside the database with triggers.
>
> Is this ok? or is it a bad design decision. I dont want my frontend(gui, php
> site) to do the error checking because i dont want to write things a thousand
> times.

    You  answered the question already. And in addition, doing it
    with triggers inside the database guarantees  you  can  never
    forget the check. The worst thing that can happen is that the
    frontend doesn't catch the ERROR and looks a little  puzzled.
    But your data is safe.

Jan