Big5 contains '\' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Limin Liu
Subject Big5 contains '\'
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

My project requires to use Big5/EUC_TW (two bytes per
chinese-character).

Unfortunately, Big5 code contains escape '\'.
For instance,
1: create table "¦¨¥\ªº¤@¥b" (n int, m text);
2: create table n (n int, m text);
3: insert into n values (19,'¦nªº¶}©l¬O¦¨¥\ªº¤@¥b');  -- 10 chinese
characters
4: select * from n;
 n  |          m
----+----------------------
 15 | ¦nªº¶}©l¬O¦¨¥ªº¤@¥b

Table name in line 1 is ¦¨¥\ªº¤@¥b.  With ", there is no problem.  Line
3 tries to insert a value with escape '\'.  I realized this '\' is
gone.  Of course, what we see are totally nonsense after the 6th
character.

This can be fixed by creating a MULTIBYTE block in scansup.c (see
attachment).  Can you put this in the next release if there is no
objection (or bugs).  :-)

I am thinking about to write an introduction book for PostgreSQL in
chinese (big5).  With this problem, it will be hard to convince them to
use PostgreSQL.

--
Regards,
Limin Liu