Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Re: [GENERAL] +/- Inf for float8's
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >       -infinity < normal values < infinity < NaN < NULL
> I was thinking about making NaN equivalent to NULL.  That would give
> consistency in ordering, and probably also in arithmetic.  Additionally,
> if the platform supports it we ought to make the Invalid Operation FP
> exception (which yields NaN) configurable:  either get NULL or get an
> error.

I'd like to see the distinction between NaN and NULL retained, since the
two "values" arise from different circumstances and under different
conditions. If a particular app needs them to be equivalent, then that
is easy enough to do with SQL or triggers.
                      - Thomas

On a modestly related note, I'm come over to the notion that the
date/time value 'current' could be ripped out eventually. Tom, isn't
that the only case for those types which bolluxes up caching of
date/time types?