Re: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Mikheev, Vadim" wrote:

> > I know people who rollback most of their transactions
> > (actually they use it to emulate temp tables when reporting).
>
> Shouldn't they use TEMP tables? -:)

They probably should.

Actually they did it on Oracle, so it shows that it can be done
even with O-smgr ;)

> > OTOH it is possible to do without rolling back at all as
> > MySQL folks have shown us ;)
>
> Not with SDB tables which support transactions.

My point was that MySQL was used quite a long time without it
and still quite many useful applications were produced.

BTW, do you know what strategy is used by BSDDB/SDB for
rollback/undo ?

Hannu