RE: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mikheev, Vadim
Subject RE: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > > Seems overwrite smgr has mainly advantages in terms of
> > > speed for operations other than rollback.
> >
> > ... And rollback is required for < 5% transactions ...
>
> This obviously depends on application.

Small number of aborted transactions was used to show
useless of UNDO in terms of space cleanup - that's why
I use same argument to show usefulness of O-smgr -:)

> I know people who rollback most of their transactions
> (actually they use it to emulate temp tables when reporting).

Shouldn't they use TEMP tables? -:)

> OTOH it is possible to do without rolling back at all as
> MySQL folks have shown us ;)

Not with SDB tables which support transactions.

Vadim