Re: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte") - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte")
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Karen,

It wouldn't hurt to update to at least PHP 4.0.5, as it fixes a bunch of
bugs, and also knows about the changes in the PostgreSQL naming of
include files, etc.

:-)

Apache 1.3.20 is also available last I checked too.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Karen Ellrick wrote:

> Update on my problem: I had another machine waiting in the wings, that would
> eventually replace the one I am having trouble with regarding the multibyte
> complaint.  I decided to try installing PostgreSQL 7.1.1 on that one, and it
> worked.  So if I can get everything else working on the new machine, I will
> just swap it out and ignore the fact that the present machine is being
> mysteriously stubborn about multibyte errors.
>
> However, on the new machine (which is also RedHat 6.1J), when I tried my
> tried-and-true sequence of configuring/compiling/installing the combination
> of Apache and PHP4 with related PostgreSQL files, I ran into a different
> problem.  This is my sequence, after untarring all three packages
> (theoretically it doesn't matter whether I install pgsql first or last, as
> long as the untarred directory is there):
>    cd apache_1.3.17
>    ./configure --prefix=/usr/apache
>    cd ../php-4.0
>
>  ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.17 --with-pgsql=../postgresql-7.1.1
>    make
>    make install
>    cd ../apache_1.3.17
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/apache --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.
>    make
>    make install
>
> But this time (never before on two other machines) I get the following error
> during PHP's make:
>    In file included from pgsql.c:29:
>    php_pgsql.h:32: postgres.h: No such file or directory
>
> Anyone done this before, and had this message?  I am using the same tarballs
> for PHP and Apache that I used on the previous two installations.  After it
> failed the first time, I even tried untarring the previously used tarball
> for postgresql (7.0.2) and pointing to it during configure, but the same
> error appeared.  There are no shortage of files called postgres.h on the
> machine, but I don't know where it is looking, and I don't think I should
> have to start disecting the Makefile.  It worked before, so it shouldn't be
> a typo or incompatibility, should it?

> Karen Ellrick
> S & C Technology, Inc.
> 1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
> Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
> (from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

     - Indira Gandhi