Re: Which Front End for Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nils Zonneveld
Subject Re: Which Front End for Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general

Al Frick wrote:

> I may try FreeBSD as the server.  But I am a little confused.  My
> clients want Windows on the work stations.  Can this be done?

The PostgreSQL ODBC driver for win32 works fine. With packages like
MS-Access, Delphi, VB etc. you can write a client application and
connect thru ODBC. There is also a JDBC driver available which makes it
possible to connect to PostgreSQL from a Java written client.

> Can the FreeBSD server with Postgresql then act as a database server
> for internal data and as a web host for publishing data to the Net?  I
> realize there are security issues here.  Would it be better to have an
> internal data server and have an external web host?

You can put the webserver on another machine then your databaseserver.
You can connect to the PostgreSQL server via TCP/IP (don't forget to
switch the -i parameter on for the postmaster).

> Can Postgresql
> handle the same data on two different servers if I do this?  Does it
> have replication or some other feature that makes off site web hosting
> possible?

AFAIK replication and joining tables over multiple databases are not
supported in PostgreSQL. But if you keep your database on one machine
your clientprograms should be able to connect from diferent machines to
the databaseserver. You can configure PostgreSQL only to accept
connections from specified domains and/or IP addresses.

HTH,

Nils