Re: Re: File system performance and pg_xlog (More info) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Wampler
Subject Re: Re: File system performance and pg_xlog (More info)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Doug McNaught wrote:

> That makes sense to me.  On "traditional" Unices, we could use the raw
> character device for a partition (eg /dev/rdsk/* on Solaris), and on
> Linux we'd use /dev/raw*, which is a mapping to a specific partition
> established before PG startup.

Small update - newer Linux kernels now support multiple raw devices
through /dev/raw/raw*, though the mapping between raw (character)
and block devices has to be recreated on each boot.

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu