Re: Self vacuuming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: Self vacuuming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alastair D'Silva wrote:

> Hi guys (and girls),
>
> Firstly, I must say that everyone has been quite helpful to me while I've
> been migrating my database to PostgreSQL 7.1.
>
> One feature I would like to see would be the ability to set a "usage" and
> "idle" threshold, so that tables automatically get vacuumed once they have
> had more than X insert/deletes and there is less than Y load (however load
> may be defined) on the database.
>
> Would this be a particularly hard feature to implement?

I would like not to see vacuuming required at all. I like the feature as a way
to force compaction, but I would like to see dynamic block space reuse. This is
a far more complex thing to implement with variable length fields, but it is
realy the only way to do it.

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.