Re: SAPDB Open Souce - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: SAPDB Open Souce
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian wrote:  > > I downloaded it.  The directories are
> two characters in length, the > files are numbers, and it is a
> mixture of C++, Python, and Pascal.  Need > I say more.  :-)
>
> OK, I'll bite: you need to say more.
>
> What is it like at handling transactions?  What sort of full-text
> indexing does it have?  Can I have transactions within transactions?
> What sort of tools are available for managing database extents?
> How compliant is it with the various SQL standards?  How does
> performance compare with PostgreSQL and others?  Does it have
> an extensible type system?  Does it have an 'internal' language
> to compare with PL/SQL or PL/PGSQL?  How well does it scale on
> SMP systems?  Can I perform a single query across multiple
> databases?  What performance monitoring tools does it come with?
>
> Hell, in a statement like that you don't even indicate if those
> directories are so-named within the source code, or in an
> installed data environment.  Whichever environment they do apply
> to, however, I'm sure there are good systems in place for dealing
> with them.  And of course C++, Python and Pascal are all languages
> with plenty of proponents, so there's no problem with those.
>
> Your statement is so light on utility that it persuades me to
> download it for myself and try it - but that is presumably
> exactly the effect you were after, wasn't it?

OK, basically, I couldn't figure out any of it.  I am sure there are
useful things in there, but I can't figure out how to find any of them.
Hopefully others will be better at it than I am.

And yes, it would be good for people to look over the code and see if
they can find valuable things in it.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19026