Re: problems with startup script on upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: problems with startup script on upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Ah, but is the LD_LIBRARY_PATH the same inside that su?  A change of
> > environment might explain why this works "by hand" and not through su
> This #$^%^*$%¤ Solaris!!!!!!
> Check this out, and tell me I shouldn't yell out at SUN:
> root@ultra31 / # su - postgres -c 'echo $PATH'
> /usr/bin:
> root@ultra31 / # su - postgres
> postgres@ultra31:~ > echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/gcc/bin:/usr/local/php/bin:/opt/sfw/bin:/usr/local/a2p/bin:/usr/local/sql/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/dbs/postgres/bin:
> postgres@ultra31:~ > logout
> root@ultra31 / #
> Can someone explain to why Solaris is doing that, and why did it start doing
> it after an upgrade? I have no words.

It may be that this is the first build of PostgreSQL which asks for
"libz.so", but that is just a guess.

Not sure about "after the upgrade", but I'll bet that the first (command
line) case does not have an attached terminal, while the second case,
where you actually connect to the session, does.

Does your .profile try doing some "terminal stuff"? Try adding echo's to
your .profile to verify that it start, and that it runs to completion...

Also, PATH is not relevant for finding libz.so, so you need to figure
out what (if anything) is happening to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
                 - Thomas