Temporary sorting space - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Boyes
Subject Temporary sorting space
Date
Re: Temporary sorting space  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hello all,

Inside the $PGDATA/base/thedatabase I came across a rather
large file called pg_sorttemp28193.0 (~ 587 MB). Our datbase
is not anywhere near this large, so I can only guess this was
a query gone awry that needed a large amount of sorting space.
Around the time this file was created the database server
also crashed, I'm wondering if this was a cause of it
(the server crashed due to a memory problem). Could that be possible ?

Also, would I now be safe in removing this file ?

Thanks
Richard.

--
Richard Boyes           Tel: 64 09 373 7599 x3055
University of Auckland  Fax: 64 09 373 7468