postgres locks... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject postgres locks...
Date
List pgsql-general
I think this is a bug, but I don't have really enough info to go on for
a report. I was running postgres on my server and everything seemed OK.
Eventually I figured out that some of my websites weren't loading and
connected it to postgres.

Basically, psql would sit there trying to connect, meanwhile all the
attempted connections wouldn't die. I had to "kill -9" all the
postgres/postmaster processes. Then I ran pg_ctl start, and it seemed
OK. However, same problem. So, I killed again, then ran ipcclean (there
were shm errors), the started and it worked. I had to delete a socket
file in /tmp also in order to get it going again.

During the time, I appearently lost several unimportant tables. I am
running 7.0.3/debian-woody. Is this a known problem? I really need to
have a reliable version of postgres running.

Thanks for any advice,
   Jeff Davis