Re: greetings - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ken Kline
Subject Re: greetings
Date
List pgsql-sql
it is to be server side code....
the code I gave you was merely an example
of a cursor that I found when I did a search...
http://www.armed.net/how/pg001676.htm

orginally what I wanted to do was this:

INSERT INTO pledge_classes (semester, year)
SELECT distinct pseason, pyear from load_bros
WHERE  pyear is not null
AND    pseason is not null
order by pyear, pseason;

however pgsql does not allow order by in an INSERT-SELECT statement
so i thought maybe I could do something like this:

DECLARE
CURSOR get_rows AS
SELECT DISTINCT pseason, pyear FROM load_members
WHERE pyear IS NOT NULL
AND pseason IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY pyear, pseason;
BEGIN
FOR rec IN get rows LOOP
INSERT INTO pledge_classes (semester, year)
VALUES
(rec.pseason, rec.pyear);
END LOOP;
COMMIT;
END;
/

Well, all the code I just showed you works in orcacle but pgsql is a
little different
and even though the book has an example of a cursor
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node142.html
it does not explain before hand
1) the format of an anoymous block
2) how to loop a cursor
3) how to reference columns froma cursor row (ie rec.column_name)

thanks

Ken