greetings - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ken Kline
Subject greetings
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have just joined the list a few days ago and am trying quite hard
to come up to speed with pgsql but i find documentaion frustratiing.
I think maybe it;s just a matter of finding things that are of the
correct
scope.  I've been an Oracle developer for over 6 years so often I
know what it is I want to do but something is just a little different.
If there are others on the list that learned in Oracle then pgsql
please tell me what  you think are the best resources.

Recently I did a google search on the key words "postgresql cursor loop"

the example below is all  I could come up with but it doesn't seem
to work is this for an older version or am I just overlooking
something simple?

thanks

Ken
            DECLARE emp_cursor CURSOR FOR            SELECT Salary, Title, Start, Stop            FROM Employee;
   OPEN emp_cursor;            loop:            FETCH emp_cursor INTO :salary, :start, :stop;            if no-data
returnedthen goto finished;            find position in linked list to insert this information;            goto loop;
        finished:            CLOSE emp_cursor;