Re: [HACKERS] BLOB HOWTO?? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Franck Martin
Subject Re: [HACKERS] BLOB HOWTO??
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm interested by TOAST, and I have asked several questions on the subject...
I haven't tested them yet...

First I thought that the type bytea allows storing of binary data, a BSOB
(Binary Small OBject).
Secondly that by using a binary cursor you have access to the raw data as it
is stored in the database, but not as it is presented in ASCII
Thridly we could use a funtion to retreive parts of columns, something like
mid(column,start,length)
Fourthly we may use the same function for storing data back.

Cheers...
Franck@sopac.org