Re: BLOB HOWTO?? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: BLOB HOWTO??
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Olivier PRENANT wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Any idea when it's due for??
> I've been thining about writing a user function; But I'll get stuck with
> permission as a user function is running under the "postgres" or whatever
> user instead of the calling user.
>
> Also, what kind of binary interface are you thinking of??
   Something similar to the existing lo_...() functions.
   Actually,  someone  should  use the existing large objects to   deal with binary content.  What has to be kept in
mindis

   1.  You have to cleanup yourself - the existing large objects       aren't  removed  automatically  if you delete a
tablerow       referencing to the LO or drop the table.

   2.  The existing LOs don't have copy  behaviour.  So  if  you       reference  to  a  LO  from one table and do an
INSERT...       SELECT, just it's OID is copied,  not  the  data  (as  it       should be IMHO).

Jan