Re: BLOB HOWTO?? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: BLOB HOWTO??
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Hi Bruce,
> >
> > Any idea when it's due for??
>
> When?  Probably not until 7.2, which is a pain.
   We cannot use TOAST as is for BLOB/CLOB storage with a binary   IO interface over fastpath.
   The reason is that you cannot force a column to be moved  off   anyway  and  that  the  toast reference contains the
original  objects size.  Thus, opening a BLOB for writing would require   the  reference  in  the  main  tuple to get
updatedand maybe   moving off the data first.

   My plans for 7.2 are to use the toast table for storage,  but   to build new data types with support hooks in the
toasterfor   it.

Jan