Re: Troubles with performances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Lémery
Subject Re: Troubles with performances
Date
Re: Troubles with performances  (Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my>)
List pgsql-general
> Just a shot in the dark:
> Are you opening and closing a database connection for each query? If you
> are, I suggest you don't, and instead use persistent database connections,
> or some form of connection pooling.
Woops, I forgot to say that of course I use a connection pooling.
Just 5 connections are pooled.

> How many http connections per second are you getting?
200

> If it's not many connections per second, but they are taking a long time to
> complete, there might be ways of reducing the number of simultaneous queries.
>
> However do note that some webcaches (e.g. squid) only buffer up to 8KB
> before blocking (not sure if you can change that). You need a webcache
> which can completely buffer your big and popular dynamic webpages (possibly
> about 50-100KB). Apache mod_proxy can actually be configured to buffer
> more, but I haven't really tested it in detail.
I don't handle dynamic pages, but only HTTP redirects, so I think I
don't need cache...

> More info about your environment and configuration/architecture could be
> helpful. e.g. what are you using for the stressed parts - mod_perl,
> fast-cgi, php, cgi-bin, apache module.
I do not use PHP or CGI because they are too slow.
I built an Apache module. I'd like to have response in 200ms max,
because it's an application for banners.