Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Alvar Freude
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:

> >it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...
>
> I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he metions
> and for the Web, PHP is the best.

hmm, i guess it's not a good place for a PHP/Perl war here ;) but:
The author wrote that PHP is Perl, C, Java etc. all in one -- this seems
to me that he doesn't know perl.

perl has lots of stuff that isn't available in PHP, has lots of modules
on CPAN and so on.

You can't compare CGI perl without any module and junky self-made
HTTP-Header-Output from 1995 with PHP.

If you want to compare, then compare mod_perl/embperl and CPAN including
full DBI with PHP. Then it will be very dark for PHP. In case of all:
speed, complexity, ready-to-use modules -- see
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/data/ -- etc.

Ciao Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude  |  alvar.freude@merz-akademie.de