Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Oh, and to make matters that much worse, on a RedHat system it doesn't
> > matter if you build with or without --enable-locale -- locale support is
> > in the libc used, and locale support gets used regardless of what you
> > select on the configure line :-(.
> But without --enable-locale, we will never call setlocale().
> Surely even RedHat is not so broken that they default to non-C locale
> in a program that has not called setlocale()?  That directly contravenes
> the letter of the ISO C standard, IIRC.

I just know this -- regression tests failed the same way with the 'nl'
non-locale RPM's as they did (and do) with the regular locale-enabled
RPM's.  Collation was the same, regardless of the --enable-locale
setting.  I got lots of 'bug' reports about the RPM's failing
regression, giving an unexpected sort order (see the archives -- the
best model thread's start post is:
http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1999-12/msg00587.html).
I was pretty ignorant back then of some of these issues :-).

Apparently RedHat is _that_ broken in that respect (among others).
Thankfully some of RedHat's more egregious faults have been fixed in
7.....

But then again what Unix isn't broken in some respect :-).
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio