Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> Collation was the same, regardless of the --enable-locale
> setting.  I got lots of 'bug' reports about the RPM's failing
> regression, giving an unexpected sort order (see the archives -- the
> best model thread's start post is:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1999-12/msg00587.html).

Hmm.  I reviewed that thread and found this comment from you:

: > Any differences in the environment variables maybe?
:
: In a nutshell, yes.  /etc/sysconfig/i18n on the fresh install sets LANG,
: LC_ALL, and LINGUAS all to be "en_US".  The upgraded machine at home doesn't
: have an /etc/sysconfig/i18n -- nor does the RH 6.0 box.

That makes it sounds like /etc/sysconfig/i18n is not what I'd assumed
(namely, a data file read at runtime by libc) but only a bit of shell
script that sets exported environment variables during bootup.  I don't
have that file here, so could you enlighten me as to exactly what it
is/does?

If it is just setting some default environment variables for the system,
then it isn't anything we can't deal with by forcing setlocale() at
postmaster start.  That'd make me feel a lot better ;-)