Re: psql won't start - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Gerhard Kroder
Subject Re: psql won't start
Date
List pgsql-novice
Thomas Good wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Diego A. Puertas F. wrote:

> > Now psql is not starting and throws the following message:
> >
> >  psql: FATAL 1:  Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.
> >

> > So, what's going on?
>
> Diego,
>
> You are missing an argument: the database name...
>
> $ psql <dbname>
> For exam:  $ psql template1

hmm, IMHO not necessarily. At least here psql connects to a default
database, which is template1 unless you set it otherwise....

My guess: there is no database at all, just the system. You need to
initialize one first (initdb). On my Debian System it gets initialized
when installing PostgreSQL from Debian Packages.

--
Gerhard Kroder