Re: psql won't start - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Thomas Good
Subject Re: psql won't start
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Gerhard Kroder wrote:

> > $ psql <dbname>
> > For exam:  $ psql template1
>

> hmm, IMHO not necessarily. At least here psql connects to a default
> database, which is template1 unless you set it otherwise....
>
> My guess: there is no database at all, just the system. You need to
> initialize one first (initdb). On my Debian System it gets initialized
> when installing PostgreSQL from Debian Packages.

Hallo Gerhard,

This is not the case on RedHat, Slackware, FreeBSD or UnixWare.
Don't know about SuSe(?)

On these systems psql needs an arg else it complains that the
database 'tomg' does not exist.  ;-)

Ciao

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056