Re: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: 7.0 vs. 7.1 (was: latest version?)
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> > How compatible with 7.0 and 7.1 be from an application standpoint?
> > Will applications linked with libraries from 7.0 be able to talk to
> > the 7.1 database?  Any changes in library major versions? The other
> > way?

> Historically, all applications have been able to talk to newer servers,
> so a 6.4 client can talk to a 7.0 postmaster, and I believe 7.0 clients
> can talk to 7.1 postmasters.

> We usually do not go the other way, where 6.5 clients can not talk to
> 6.4 postmasters.  I believe 7.0->7.1 will be able to talk in any
> 7.0.X/7.1 client and server combination.

He's meaning the libpq version for dynamic link loading.  Is the
libpq.so lib changing versions (like the change from 6.5.x to 7.0.x
changed from libpq.so.2.0 to libpq.so.2.1, which broke binary RPM
compatibility for other RPM's linked against libpq.so.2.0, which failed
when libpq.so.2.1 came on the scene).  I think the answer is no, but I
haven't checked the details yet.

Not just libpq, though -- libpgtcl.so has also been problematic.

Of course, the file format on disk changes (again!), which is a whole
'nother issue for RPM's......
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio