Search (select) options - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Search (select) options
Date
List pgsql-general
I would like to be able to use searches that seem somewhat intelligent.
Can you 'ORDER BY' number of matching 'OR' clauses? For example, someone
searches for "x y z", so I would do "select * from mytable where col1
like '%x%' or col1 like '%y%' or col1 like '%z%';", but I want it to
order by number of matches (so a match of y and z would turn up before a
match of just x).

If anyone has suggestions, or can point me to some reading, I would
really appreciate it. The only thing I can think of is a complicated
application-side program.

Thanks,
Jeff Davis