Re: COPY syntax improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: COPY syntax improvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I have not modified pg_dump so that 7.3 dumps can be loaded into <=7.2
> databases.  I have modified psql \copy to _only_ use the new syntax, and
> to only send the new syntax to the backends.

Why not leave psql alone?  Seems to me you are gratuitously breaking
backwards compatibility of psql, and gaining absolutely zero in return.

I know that a lot of 7.3 psql's other backslash commands will not work
against pre-7.3 servers, but there's no help for that (short of making
psql version-aware like pg_dump is).  I don't think that's a reason to
break \copy too, when there is no need for it.