COPY syntax improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject COPY syntax improvement
Date
Re: COPY syntax improvement  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: COPY syntax improvement  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
I am working on the TODO item:
o Change syntax to WITH DELIMITER, (keep old syntax around?)

and I have added syntax so COPY can now accept all parameters at the end
using WITH:
COPY table    FROM { 'filename' | stdin }    [ [ WITH ]           [ BINARY ]           [ OIDS ]          [ DELIMITER
'delimiter']          [ NULL AS 'null string' ] ]

(COPY TO is similar.)

For portability, it still supports the old syntax of BINARY after COPY,
WITH OIDS after 'table' and USING DELIMITERS after 'filename'.  I have
sent the patch to the patches list.

I have not modified pg_dump so that 7.3 dumps can be loaded into <=7.2
databases.  I have modified psql \copy to _only_ use the new syntax, and
to only send the new syntax to the backends.  (We don't usually support
new psql in to older databases anyway.)  Not sure if I should document
the old syntax somewhere because pg_dump uses WITH OIDS with the old
syntax.

I have not applied the patch. I am waiting for comments.

Pennsylvania19026