Re: INET/CIDR types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sevo Stille
Subject Re: INET/CIDR types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman wrote:

> What RFC says you can't print all 4 octets of a CIDR Netnumber?

Implicitly in 1518, for example:
---------8<----------------------8<----------------------8<------------
For the purposes of this paper, an IP prefix is an IP address and  some indication of the leftmost contiguous
significantbits within  this address.

---------8<----------------------8<----------------------8<------------

As I already explained, the use of variable-length masks implies that
they have to be explicitly stated. This was not neccessary in classed
networks, as the MSB's encoded the class (mask).

> Why does network(cidr) return the whole cidr output just like
> select cidr?

Because a cast to network is a cast to CIDR - casting to the same type
obviously won't change a thing.
> I'm just trying to figure out the logic here.

As a matter of fact, it is the side effect of the current
implementations shortcomings - we have common code for INET and CIDR,
otherwise, network would not have to be a valid operator for CIDR.
> Here is what my Cisco Router that speaks BGP says:
> big-bro#term ip netmask-format bit-count
> big-bro#sh ip bg 206.66.0.0/20
> BGP routing table entry for 206.66.0.0/20, version 150832
> Paths: (5 available, best #4)
>   Advertised to non peer-group peers:
>     157.130.140.109 166.63.135.33 206.66.12.3 206.66.12.4 206.66.12.7
> 206.66.12.
> I am just asking for the same type output.

Huh? The only *network* I see in there IS in /bits notation.
Sevo

--
Sevo Stille
sevo@ip23.net