Re: INET/CIDR types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: INET/CIDR types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> >
> > What RFC says you can't print all 4 octets of a CIDR Netnumber?
>
> Implicitly in 1518, for example:
> ---------8<----------------------8<----------------------8<------------
> For the purposes of this paper, an IP prefix is an IP address and
>    some indication of the leftmost contiguous significant bits within
>    this address.
> ---------8<----------------------8<----------------------8<------------
This doesn't prohibit listing all 4 octets, which is my argument...

> As I already explained, the use of variable-length masks implies that
> they have to be explicitly stated. This was not neccessary in classed
> networks, as the MSB's encoded the class (mask).
I know this...

> > Why does network(cidr) return the whole cidr output just like
> > select cidr?
>
> Because a cast to network is a cast to CIDR - casting to the same type
> obviously won't change a thing.
>
> > I'm just trying to figure out the logic here.
>
> As a matter of fact, it is the side effect of the current
> implementations shortcomings - we have common code for INET and CIDR,
> otherwise, network would not have to be a valid operator for CIDR.

I just want something equivalent to host(inet) that
prints all 4 octets of a CIDR type with no mask.

Is that hard?

> > Here is what my Cisco Router that speaks BGP says:
> > big-bro#term ip netmask-format bit-count
> > big-bro#sh ip bg 206.66.0.0/20
> > BGP routing table entry for 206.66.0.0/20, version 150832
> > Paths: (5 available, best #4)
> >   Advertised to non peer-group peers:
> >     157.130.140.109 166.63.135.33 206.66.12.3 206.66.12.4 206.66.12.7
> > 206.66.12.
> > I am just asking for the same type output.
>
> Huh? The only *network* I see in there IS in /bits notation.
Yes, but with all 4 octets, which is all I'm looking for....

--
Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler@lerctr.org