Re: Serious Performance Loss in 7.0.2?? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Perdue
Subject Re: Serious Performance Loss in 7.0.2??
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Hard to tell with this much info.  How many rows are actually retrieved
> by the query (the planner is guessing 34, is that anywhere in the right
> ballpark?  How big is the table, anyway?)
>
> Also, what's the definition of the index idx_mail_archive_list_yr_mo?
>
> It might help to see the EXPLAIN VERBOSE output also --- I'm wondering
> if all the WHERE clauses are getting used as index keys or not...

OK - there are 5851 rows in this query.

idx_mail_archive_list_yr_mo is an index on
mail_list (int)
mail_year (int)
mail_month(int)

With 5850 rows to sort, I wouldn't expect it to be lightning fast, but
there is a very definite difference from 6.5.3 (or 6.4.x).

As requested by "The Hermit Hacker", I took out the ORDER BY and it was
instantaneous.

I'm sending the explain verbose separately to you as it's very big.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge