Re: more corruption - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Perdue
Subject Re: more corruption
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> just a quick thought ... have you tried shutting down and restrating the
> postmaster?  basically, "reset" the shared memory?  v7.x handles
> corruptions like that alot cleaner, but previous versions caused odd
> results if shared memory got corrupted ...

Well, I've rebooted twice. In fact, it was a hard lock that caused the
problems. When the machine was brought back up, the db was foobar.

I'm doing something really really evil to avoid losing the last days'
data:

-I created a new db
-used the old db schema to create all new blank tables
-copied the physical table files from the old data directory into the
new database directory
-currently vacuuming the new db - nothing is barfing yet
-now hopefully I can create my indexes and be back in business

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com
Lead Developer - SourceForge