Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> The express goal of the Unicode consortium is to replace all existing
> encodings with Unicode. My personal opinion is that a Unicode
> monoculture would be a good thing, provided reasonable differences can
> be accommodated.

Can't help remembering Randall Munroe's take on such things:
https://xkcd.com/927/

I agree that the Far Eastern systems that can't easily be replaced
by Unicode are that way mostly because they're a mess.  But I'm
still of the opinion that locking ourselves into Unicode is a choice
we might regret, far down the road.