Re: pg_dumpall and check constraints - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guillaume Perréal
Subject Re: pg_dumpall and check constraints
Date
Re: pg_dumpall and check constraints  (JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck))
List pgsql-general
Philip Warner wrote:
At 09:59 30/06/00 +0200, Guillaume Perréal wrote:

     And the question is: Is there a better way to do what I want (checking field values from different tables against data in one table) that allow pg_dumpall to works ?

<<<<

I'm not sure what to suggest, but a FOREIGN KEY constraint might help. You would need to do one of two things:

1. add fieldname to the definition of station, then use
FOREIGN KEY ("fieldname", "type") references "information" (fieldName, code),

Well, I don't think adding the same value to each row of "station" is the better solution. But it's a solution.

OR

2. create a view:
create view "station_fields" as select * from information where fieldname = 'station.type';

then use:

FOREIGN KEY ( "type") references "station_fields" ( code),

I tried : it doesn't work. It seems that view rows don't have OID, which are used in foreign key. (I deduce that from the error messages I've got  when I tried).

You'd need to assess the permance issues associated with each choice - some DB systems don't do views very well, and I have absolutely no experience with big views under PG.

"information" won't be a big view : less than one hundred tuples.

FWIW, I have just finished writing a modified pg_dump which restores things in a variety of possibl orders, and works with the example you quoted.

I'm just waiting on volunteers to test it...

Why not? But I can't promise you to do full testing as I've got a lot of work these days.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume Perréal - Stagiaire MIAG
Cemagref (URH), Lyon, France