Re: pg_dumpall and check constraints - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_dumpall and check constraints
Date
List pgsql-general
At 09:59 30/06/00 +0200, Guillaume Perréal wrote:

<excerpt>

And the question is: Is there a better way to do what I want (checking
field values from different tables against data in one table) that allow
pg_dumpall to works ?

</excerpt><<<<<<<<

I'm not sure what to suggest, but a FOREIGN KEY constraint might help.
You would need to do one of two things:

1.  add fieldname to the definition of station, then use

    FOREIGN KEY ("fieldname", "type") references "information"
(fieldName, code),

OR

2.  create a view:

        create view "station_fields" as select * from information where
fieldname = 'station.type';

    then use:

        FOREIGN KEY ( "type") references "station_fields" ( code),

You'd need to assess the permance issues associated with each choice -
some DB systems don't do views very well, and I have absolutely no
experience with big views under PG.

FWIW, I have just finished writing a modified pg_dump which restores
things in a variety of possibl orders, and works with the example you
quoted.

I'm just waiting on volunteers to test it...

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_

Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|

PGP key available upon request,  |  /

and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/