Re: Crosstab SQL Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: Crosstab SQL Question
Date
List pgsql-general
> > Is it possible to perform a crosstab query in postgres similar the
> > functionality that MS Access provides?
> >
> > I tried building the query in Access (against postgre 6.5.3 using ODBC)
> > and using the SQL created by Access, but it looks like very non-standard
> > SQL code and postgre doesn't support it.
>
> ...[gratuitous sarcasm snipped]...
> you might want to describe what a crosstab query is...

A crosstab is also known in MS Excel as a "pivot table", if that helps
any.  It facilitates drag-and-drop data analysis by creating arbitrary
2-D matrices aggregated from data columns.  Very cool, and hard to
adequately describe, as it makes some complex operations very simple, and
I don't understand how it works underneath.  IMO, it is one of the most
powerful data analysis tools in existence.  It would be neat to be able
to do something similar in pgsql...

Regards,
Ed Loehr