Re: Performance of PostgreSQL vs. Other DBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ned Lilly
Subject Re: Performance of PostgreSQL vs. Other DBs
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Peterson wrote:

> I saw a post on this list recently from Ned Lilly of Great Bridge saying
> that they would be publishing some benchmark comparisons soon.
>
> > Hi Gunnar,
> >
> > Great Bridge has been running PostgreSQL against several of the leading
> > commercial contenders in some professional benchmarks (TPC-C, TPC-D, AS3AP),
> > and will be releasing the findings in June.  I think people here will be very
> > happy with the results... :)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ned Lilly
> > VP, Hacker Relations
> > Great Bridge, LLC
>
> I assume that an announcement of these benchmarks will be made on this
> list...?

Bryan White pointed out that Oracle (and Microsoft too) have squirrelly little clauses in their licenses prohibiting
"publishing"benchmark results.  He's right.

We're thinking about fun ways to informally discuss our results, without naming particular companies' products.  This
listis where it will happen - stay tuned.

Thanks,
Ned