Re: plpgsql question... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wampler
Subject Re: plpgsql question...
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Steve Wampler <swampler@noao.edu> writes:
> > PostgreSQL 6.5.3
>
> > ========================
> > appdb=> create function insert_or_update() returns opaque as '
> > appdb'> begin
> > appdb'> insert into attributes_table values(new.id,new.name,
> > appdb'>    new.units,new.value);
> > appdb'> return NULL;
> > appdb'> end;'
> > appdb-> language 'plpgsql';
> > CREATE
> > appdb=> create trigger t before insert on attributes for each row
> > appdb-> execute procedure insert_or_update();
> > CREATE
> > appdb=> insert into attributes values('site','prefix','none','kp');
> > NOTICE:  plpgsql: ERROR during compile of insert_or_update near line 2
> > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "in"
> > appdb=>
> > =========================
>
> > Does anyone see what I've done wrong?
>
> Nothing that I can see.  I copied and pasted this trigger into current
> sources and it worked fine.  Ditto for your other example.
>
> There must be something pretty broken about your copy of plpgsql;
> dunno what exactly.  I'd recommend updating to 7.0.2 and then seeing
> if the problem persists.  If it does we can dig deeper.

Just a followup to the group - upgrading from 6.5.3 to 7.0.2 fixed the
problem, as Tom suggested (both on Linux [RH6.1 - really 7.0.3 here]
and Solaris 2.7).

Thanks, Tom!

--
Steve Wampler-  SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler@noao.edu