Re: Procedure Size Limitation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: Procedure Size Limitation
Date
List pgsql-general
Terence Gannon wrote:

> In version 6.5.3 (and ealier?) versions of PostgreSQL, there was a
> limitation on the size of a procedure...something on the order of 1800
> characters.  Has this been eliminatd in 7+?  Is there any limitation to
> the size of a procedure written in plpgsql?

I believe the limit was around 2700, and it is reportedly fixed in 7.*.
There is a blocksize limit (8K?) for rows, and procedures are stored as a
column in a row.

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#4.6

The blocksize limit is configurable, but I seem to recall there being
some concern by Jan Wieck (plpgsql creator) that changing the blocksize
was not advisable.  Check deja.com for more details...

Regards,
Ed Loehr