Re: I: About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Leonardo F
Subject Re: I: About "Our CLUSTER implementation is pessimal" patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>Perhaps you could supply a .sql file containing a testcase
> illustrating the performance benefits you tested with your patch

Sure.

Attached the updated patch (should solve a bug) and a script.
The sql scripts generates a 2M rows table ("orig"); then the
table is copied and the copy clustered using seq + sort (since
"set enable_seqscan=false;").
Then the table "orig" is copied again, and the copy clustered
using regular index scan (set enable_indexscan=true; set
enable_seqscan=false).
Then the same thing is done on a 5M rows table, and on a 10M
rows table.

On my system (Sol10 on a dual Opteron 2.8) single disc:

2M:  seq+sort 11secs; regular index scan: 33secs
5M:  seq+sort 39secs; regular index scan: 105secs
10M:seq+sort 83secs; regular index scan: 646secs

Maybe someone could suggest a better/different test?

Leonardo

Attachment