Re: You're on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: You're on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Now, I we want to move all the stuff to use MD5 rather than the standard
> unix password crypt,

AFAIK, MD5 is one of "the standard password crypt"'s ;)

> that is another option, though I am not sure what
> value it would have.

One advantage would be passwords with more than 8 characters that
matter.

IMO the salt part in the "old" crypt code is there only to make it
harder for people to accidentally discover that other people have
the same password with them, which could easily be avoided by
including the username as kind of supersalt in the md5 string,
so the value passed over wire (and stored in DB would be
MD5('<username>:<passwd>').
If we want to make password hijacking real hard, we could store
the above but ask the client for
MD5(<server-supplied-salt>+MD5(<username>+':'+<passwd>))
and compare that

Hannu