Re: Why Not MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Malcontent null wrote:

> >Anyway, so the larger class of problem is for the Sybase/M$ user who
> >relies on case insensitive queries (which *are* available in Postgres)

Maybe the right place to introduce case-insensitiveness would be in ODBC
driver then ?

> If I may.
> MS Access for all of it's damnable faults is the single most popular
> database in the world. There are a whole slew of people who do nothing
> except access programming and make very good money at it. Postgres is
> a great candidate as a possible  back end database engine for access.
> This is a big possible application for postgres. To be usable for this
> purpose however it needs a few things.
> 1) Longer object names (I guess this is possible via a DEFINE)

How long should they be ?

> 2) Case insensitive queries.

Probably only the Access subset ("like", "order by", maybe even "=" ?)

> 3) Outer joins (coming soon!).
> 4) Maybe ADO drivers for the VB users of the world.

AFAIK MS moves fast and ADO will be soon (or is already) officially obsolete.

The technology du jour is XML.

> I don't know how important access integration is to the postgres
> community as a whole though.

Probably not a top priority. Oracle is much more often seen as the target.

Hannu