Re: Why Not MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Uckun
Subject Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> exponentially slower... So, sadly I have to go find another backend for this
> application -- a commercial one too so we can get "commercial support"
> (yuck)..

Actually you might want to give Interbase a try. Version 6 is now in
beta and is going to be open sourced. It's been around a while and seems
pretty solid.  There will be a commercial entity to buy support
contracts from and the newsgroups are very helpful. As a bonus there is
a realatively large installed user base already and very very nice
client side tools available. See http://www.interbase.com/ or
http://www.interbase2000.com/ for further details.

If I can't get my questions answered about case sensitivity issues here
(no help so far) I will most likely to use it myself.

> I need is basically what PG has.. Transactions are a must as well as some
> sort of sequence -- stability over performance but performance is very
> important too. It also needs to run native on FreeBSD..

IB supports transactions and  sequences. It's very stable and pretty
fast. There was a problem with shared memory in the early beta and
earlier releases but it's fixed now. I am pretty sure it runs on FreeBSD
but I am not sure if it runs natively or under linux emulation.