Re: psql \l error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From SAKAIDA Masaaki
Subject Re: psql \l error
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > > So, I'd suggest fixing the first issue (so that 7.0 MULTIBYTE psql works
> > > with non-MULTIBYTE 7.0 server) but not trying to do anything about
> > > MULTIBYTE psql with a pre-7.0 server.  Comments?
> >
> >   I consider that MULTIBYTE 7.0-psql must be able to access a
> > pre-7.0 server. I don't think that it is so difficult to realize
> > it between 6.5.x and 7.0.
> >
> >   Problems except for \l are \df/\dd which Hiroshi Inoue already
> > pointed out.
>
> We have allowed old psql's to talk to new servers, but not new psql's
> talking to older servers.  For 7.0, I think they will have to match.
> There really isn't a way to fix the new oidvector changes for older
> releases, and I don't think it is worth it, personally.

 I don't know the details of oidvector. But new psql can talk to
older server.

Ex.1)
(1) select version();  ==> ver_no[] variable(2) If (ver_no[0] <= '6') then       query <== SELECT t.typname as result
..                 substr(oid8types(p.proargtypes),1,14) as arg ..                  ..    else        query <== SELECT
t.typnameas \"Result\", ..                 oidvectortypes(p.proargtypes) as \"Arguments\" ..                 .. (2)
sendquery

Ex.2)
 (1) query1 <== SELECT t.typname as \"Result\", ..                oidvectortypes(p.proargtypes) as \"Arguments\" ..
          ..     query2 <== SELECT t.typname as result ..                substr(oid8types(p.proargtypes),1,14) as arg

 (2) send query1 (3) if an error occurs the send query2

--
Regard,
SAKAIDA Masaaki -- Osaka, Japan