Re: initcap incompatibility issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: initcap incompatibility issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
>> Wrong again.  Oracle also capitalizes the first letter after a comma,
>> semicolon, colon, period, and both a single and double quote.  (And that's
>> all I've tested so far.)

> It sounds like Oracle is simply regexing for anything that ISN'T a letter
> to initcap right after it.  If that's the case, you could just regex too.

Or more likely, use the appropriate ctype.h function (isalpha, probably).

>> That also brings into question whether this is really a bugfix or a
>> specification change, a question which is relevant since we're in the
>> feature freeze for 7.4.

AFAIK, our specification for this function is "be like Oracle", so it's
a bug fix and fair game for 7.4.  Of course, the sooner you get it in
the more likely we'll see it that way ;-).  Later in beta, only critical
bugfixes will be accepted, and this one surely ain't very critical.