Re: CREATE COLLATION without LOCALE throws error in v15 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: CREATE COLLATION without LOCALE throws error in v15
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 07.12.22 18:44, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-12-07 at 13:04 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> This was an intentional change because of underlying conceptual and
>> catalog changes.  lc_collate, lc_ctype, and iculocale are now tracked
>> separately in the catalogs.  This is also important because for a
>> database they actually are used separately.  So this also keeps the
>> locale/collation settings for databases and collations consistent.
>
> That makes sense, but there also doesn't seem to be much harm in
> supporting the old behavior where it works as long as ctype==collate.
> As in my patch, it accepts either locale or ctype==collate as the icu
> locale.

The harm is that in the context of database-level collations, the
analogous syntax means something different.  That's why in the context
of adding ICU support on the database level, this syntax for collation
objects was disabled.