Re: New server setup - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Jaskiewicz
Subject Re: New server setup
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 13 Mar 2013, at 15:33, John Lister <john.lister@kickstone.com> wrote:

> On 12/03/2013 21:41, Gregg Jaskiewicz wrote:
>>
>> Whilst on the hardware subject, someone mentioned throwing ssd into the mix. I.e. combining spinning HDs with SSD,
apparentlysome raid cards can use small-ish (80GB+) SSDs as external caches. Any experiences with that ?

> The new LSI/Dell cards do this (eg H710 as mentioned in an earlier post). It is easy to set up and supported it seems
onall versions of dells cards even if the docs say it isn't. Works well with the limited testing I did, switched to
prettymuch all SSDs drives in my current setup

> These cards also supposedly support enhanced performance with just SSDs (CTIO) by playing with the cache settings,
butto be honest I haven't noticed any difference and I'm not entirely sure it is enabled as there is no indication that
CTIOis actually enabled and working.

SSDs have much shorter life then spinning drives, so what do you do when one inevitably fails in your system ?