Re: New server setup - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John Lister
Subject Re: New server setup
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/03/2013 21:41, Gregg Jaskiewicz wrote:

> Whilst on the hardware subject, someone mentioned throwing ssd into
> the mix. I.e. combining spinning HDs with SSD, apparently some raid
> cards can use small-ish (80GB+) SSDs as external caches. Any
> experiences with that ?

The new LSI/Dell cards do this (eg H710 as mentioned in an earlier
post). It is easy to set up and supported it seems on all versions of
dells cards even if the docs say it isn't. Works well with the limited
testing I did, switched to pretty much all SSDs drives in my current setup

These cards also supposedly support enhanced performance with just SSDs
(CTIO) by playing with the cache settings, but to be honest I haven't
noticed any difference and I'm not entirely sure it is enabled as there
is no indication that CTIO is actually enabled and working.

John